Many people focus on sculpting straight abdominal muscles while training, ignoring oblique abdominal muscles. This is a mistake, because the abdominal muscles play a very important role when making many movements. Additionally, without developing oblique muscles, you can count on a really attractive belly.
If you dream about the belly in the shape of the letter “V”, unfortunately, you will never achieve it without the training of oblique muscles. Strong oblique abdominal muscles support and strengthen the lower back, so you can avoid spine pains.
These muscles are also responsible for the correct posture. Below you will find a few exercises that will strengthen and show abdominal oblique muscles.
- Stand with your feet hip distance apart. Hold a five- to 10-pound medicine ball with both hands with your arms outstretched in front of you.
- Keep your core stable, and take a large step back with your right foot, planting your foot and then lowering your body until both legs are bent in right angles.
- As you sink into the lunge, twist your torso to the left.
- Bring your torso back to center, and exhale as you straighten your legs. Bring your feet back together, and then step back on your left leg, twisting to the right.
- This completes one rep. Do 10 reps for a set, and do at least two sets.
Wood chop crunch
Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding a medicine ball with both hands in front of your body. Lower into a squat, bringing the ball down toward your left knee. Rise up from the squat, and twist your hips to the right as you lift the ball over your right shoulder, keeping your arms extended. Repeat the movement 10 to 15 times, and then switch sides.
- Sit on the floor in the top position of a sit up.
- Holding a plate with both hands, extend your arms in front of you.
- Explosively twist your body to one side and then twist back.
- Alternate sides.