Here are the seven best strength training exercises to reduce cellulite. They focus on the most cellulite-prone areas of your lower body, including the glutes and thighs. Try these exercises 2-3 times per week for best results. You will need a long resistance band for two of the exercises. Perform each move 8-12 times then move to the next one. Go through the sequence two times for best results.
1. PLIÉ SQUAT
- A) Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder distance apart and toes turned out. Bend knees, lowering torso and keeping your back straight and abs tight. Tuck your tailbone.
- B) Squeeze your glutes and come to standing position.
2. PISTOL SQUAT
- A) Stand with feet hip-distance apart and extend one leg long in front of the body.
- B) Bring hands to hips or the front of your body for balance. Sit back into a squat with the weight in the heel of the foot, then slowly stand back up using your glute and hamstring muscles. Repeat for desired number of reps and switch sides.
3. SIDE LUNGE
- A) Start standing with legs slightly wider than shoulder-distance apart and toes pointed forward.
- B) Shift your body weight to one leg, bending the knee until it reaches a 90-degree angle and the other leg is straight. Glutes are pressing back behind you. Return to center and switch sides.
4. ELEVATED LUNGE
- A) Begin by standing a few feet in front of a step and reach your left foot back so toes are on the bench and heels lifted.
- B) Bend the right knee, lowering your body toward the floor until both knees are bent at a 90-degree angle. If your right knee extends in front of your ankle when you lower, move your right foot farther forward.
- C) Squeeze the glute as you press yourself back to start, keeping the weight in your right leg. Continue moving down and up for desired number of reps and switch sides.
5. RESISTANCE BAND ALTERNATING GLUTE SQUEEZE
- A) Hold handles next to hips with elbows bent and place both feet on the band, hip-width apart.
- B) Lift right foot and press the band back at an angle squeezing your glute. Keep leg straight. Release and switch sides.
6. RESISTANCE BAND BUTT BLASTER
- A) Kneel on the floor and wrap band under right foot, placing hands down under shoulders while holding handles against the floor.
- B) Lift right knee off the floor slightly and push right foot back to extend leg straight against the band, squeezing your glute.
- C) Release slowly, bringing knee back into a bent position. Continue for desired reps and switch feet.
7. SINGLE LEG HAMSTRING BRIDGE
- A) Lie on back with bent knees hip distance apart, and feet flat on mat stacked under the knees. Extend one leg long towards the ceiling.
- B) Squeeze glutes and lift hips off the mat into a bridge. Lower and lift the hips for the desired number of reps, then repeat on another side.
Great job completing one round! Get a drink of water, go back to the top of the list and go through the entire set one more time.